Taking Stock in Gannon University
Thank you for your interest in making a gift of appreciated stock to support Gannon University. The stock market has reached new, unprecedented heights. If you are looking to maximize the power of your charitable contributions, consider donating your long-term appreciated securities to Gannon University.
Benefits of Giving Appreciated Stock:
Donating long-term appreciated securities directly to Gannon University, rather than selling the assets and donating the cash proceeds, is one of the best and easiest ways to give more!
A charitable contribution of long-term appreciated securities, (stocks, bond, and/or mutual funds that have grown in value) is one of the most tax-efficient of all ways to give. This method of giving has become increasingly popular in recent years because of two key advantages:
- Any long-term appreciated securities with unrealized gains (meaning they were purchased over a year ago and have a current value greater than their original cost) may be donated to a public charity and a tax deduction taken for the full fair market value of the securites; up to 30% of the donor's adjusted gross income.
- Since the securities are donated rather than sold: capital gains taxes from selling the securities no longer apply. The more appreciation the securities have, the greater your tax savings will be.
How to make a gift of appreciated securities to Gannon University:
- Contact your financial advisor for guidance.
- Notify the Gannon University Advancement Office (814-871-7468) of your wishes to contribute appreciated securities and work with them on the designation of your gift. For example: an endowed scholarship, faculty professional development, faculty led student research, speaker series, study-abroad, mission trips, academic departments, athletics, Nash Library or a capital project.
- Complete the gift intention form below with your financial advisor and give or send it to your broker
- Notify Jana Hunt, Coordinator of Gifts and Records about the transfer at 814-871-7469, firstname.lastname@example.org or Gannon University, 109 University Square MS 03, Erie, PA 16541. Gannon's tax identification # is 25-0496976.
Print Stock Gifting Instructions Here
Questions or assistance please contact:
University Advancement Office, Attention: Lori Bly, Assistant to the Vice President, Gannon University, 109 University Square, Erie, PA 16541;814-871-7468; email@example.com.