Renovations to Gannon University’s Mary, Seat of Wisdom chapel are about to begin, thanks in large part to a lead gift by a longtime priest in the Catholic Diocese of Erie and trustee of the University.
Monsignor Robert L. Brugger, who once attended Gannon University and who was the pastor at St. Jude Catholic Church and St. George Catholic Church among other parishes, privately presented his transformative gift to the University in early. The generous lead gift will fuel a campaign to complete renovations to the chapel with a total projected cost of $1.5 million to $2 million.
Father Michael Kesicki, associate vice president for Gannon’s Mission and Ministry, has been leading the work group that is focused on the renovations.
“This gift will provide a spiritual home for our students so that they may grow in a deeper relationship with Jesus Christ, both in the Mass and in the solitude of private prayer,” Kesicki said. “As we approach the holy season of Christmas, I am moved to think of Msgr. Brugger’s generosity as a true reflection of the gifts of the Magi: the gold of his commitment to the kingdom of God, the frankincense of his religious devotion and deep faith, and the myrrh of his self-sacrificing dedication to the people that has marked the almost 52 years of his priestly life.”
The Mary, Seat of Wisdom Chapel at 520 Peach St. has been closed since May, when a gas leak was discovered. The source of that leak was an abandoned gas well located below the chapel.
That gas well has been re-drilled and capped, but only after a significant amount of work to the area around the chapel. Two buildings – the Student Services building and the Pontifical Center – were demolished to make way for drilling equipment to get into the chapel. Both of those buildings had been identified in the school’s 2009 master plan as needing to be taken down because they were well past their useful lives.
The work on the well was finished in early November and the chapel’s north wall has been rebuilt.
Now, attention will turn to work inside the chapel. A team assembled from across the University has been meeting with an architect to design the new space. The plan is nearly finished and the reimagined chapel will see a complete enhancement of the worship space, new pews, sanctuary, and altar along with a reconfigured fellowship space, bathrooms and kitchen.
A capital campaign was established in late-summer to raise funds for the repairs and renovation and this lead gift takes the campaign and the opportunities within the project to a whole new level. To donate, call Almitra Clerkin, associate vice president for University Advancement, at (814) 871-7786 or give online.
Clerkin said University Advancement is working to secure gifts of all sizes for the chapel. Monsignor Brugger’s gift will help in significant ways, and it will also help the chapel reopen before the start of the next school year.
The beginnings of a Christian church on the site go back to 1860, when the congregation of the First Presbyterian church dedicated a brick edifice with a towering steeple. That original building was partially destroyed by fire in 1920 and not fully restored until 1940. A second fire in 1944 completely destroyed the building.
The present church was built in 1950. Its congregation merged with the Presbyterian Church of the Covenant in January of 1981 and is now the First Presbyterian Church of the Covenant on West Sixth Street. Gannon University purchased the property that year with a view to continuing the church as the University Chapel. The chapel was dedicated on Oct. 8, 1989.
Become a part of preserving Gannon’s past while shaping the future for our students and our community by donating to the Chapel capital campaign.
To find out more about how to donate, contact Almitra Clerkin, associate vice president for University Advancement, email@example.com.
Gannon is a Catholic, Diocesan University dedicated to excellence in teaching, scholarship and service. Our faculty and staff prepare students to be global citizens through programs grounded in the liberal arts and sciences and professional specializations. Inspired by the Catholic Intellectual Tradition, we offer a comprehensive, values-centered learning experience that emphasizes faith, leadership, inclusiveness and social responsibility.